Awareness and education policies
1. Context to awareness and education on climate change
- Climate change is a phenomenon that affects all the countries in the world and the entire population of the planet. Global warming is still increasing and there is an urgent need for action.
- According to UNESCO, “a new approach to teaching is required to promote the development of dynamic, green economies and societies and enable the emergence of a ‘global citizenship’ movement”.
- We are the only generation that can actually do something serious to halt climate change, but does everyone know that? What level of knowledge or training does the general public have about climate change?
- The cultural and educational ‘lever’ is a very important one for getting everyone to act and to do so on an immediate basis. Therefore it is crucial to promote education for sustainable development.
- Investing in education is fundamental for enhancing people’s lives and also for contributing to sustainable development and guaranteeing greater awareness and more action on environmental matters.
- If society is aware and informed about the implications of global warming on the planet, this will help people adapt their behaviour so as to minimise their emissions on a daily basis, as well as making them critical, demanding citizens that call for policies on climate change.
- SDG 13, one of the Sustainable Development Goals that make up the United Nations Agenda for Development, calls on us to: “Improve education, awareness-raising and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction and early warning”.
2. Awareness and education policies
3. Some resources
4. Call to action
- Citizen communication campaigns explaining the problem and possible solutions
- Introducing environmental education, with an emphasis on climate change, into academic syllabus
- Cross-disciplinary education at secondary and university levels, including in degrees that are not related to environmental sciences or biology
- Training for new company executives on showing respect for the planet
- Training and awareness initiatives in companies, focusing on climate change and reducing emissions and targeting the company’s stakeholders
- Support for research and innovation with methods and products that enable production and manufacture with lower emissions
- Offering contextualised informative contents for the media to coincide with important events related to the issue, such as the COP conferences
- Promoting sectoral approaches to climate change so as to encourage various industries to come up with solutions
- Providing the general public with tools and best practices in the area of climate change